Sunday 12 October 2014

|| Hair Styles ||

In this post I would like to look at some Elizabethan hairstyles as well as see how the middle ages have influenced the way we style our hair today. 

Elizabethan VS Modern 
The picture on the left shows an Elizabethan look involving a hair net called 'the caul'. It was a very popular method of keeping the hair out of the way and in place, and it was often decorated with such things as pearls or different kinds of decorations. Right next to this picture, I have put another one to compare. This one is a bridal or an evening look which is a lot more modern. It also incorporates pearls which makes me think it was most definitely inspired by the Elizabethan trends. It looks very elegant and classy. This is something I would like to make a part of the process when it comes to my own outcome of this project. I want to be able to transform something from the middle ages into something very trendy NOW.

Source of image on the left:
http://www2.springfield.k12.il.us/schools/springfield/eliz/images/even%20more%20hairstyles%20per%201
Source of image on the right:
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhGU5qc5x6MkztgiC0r9mcqlHKDuLahUAaz-Ehcgx81t5NzRibk06nkyiSPTXs3SdzgqeM1s1a5hb5ygCq-OmPVquS705MRaryZ9q7IUerxMMbatdCAcHWkOoa1vSlPfXqB7awB2x7HhJ29/s1600/updo3g.jpg
Elizabethan VS Modern

This look is not identical, but that is not what I was looking for. I can definitely see where the inspiration was taken from. How the hair is a bit bigger and fuller on the top of the head and the hair that is down was made into plaits. The hair on the right, is red which definitely completed the Elizabethan look and makes it look authentic. I really support this kind of approach and want to have it while creating my own Elizabethan look. I do not want to copy, I want to create something in style of the Elizabethan era and trends. I feel like that would make my work a lot more original and my own. 
Source of image on the left:
http://karenswhimsy.com/public-domain-images/victorian-hair-styles/images/victorian-hair-styles-6.jpg


Source of image on the right:
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEji1I3qs-RFJW6e6tCSnzsC1mfenYf0Pf1FdCoXRwGksMtoltVH6d2-9e77cDKED1Mba4fGXXuaDXWrzG5dQCmAr80Nqfmq6mUivEeiVySh9BzhFJ2D2E6RcVCGnA8BvLYZ4ydcWmh5yMWr/s640/xwoven-runway-hairstyle.jpeg.pagespeed.ic.aOvOmcyZxf.jpg
Elizabethan VS Modern






Photo on the right shows a very famous Elizabethan hairstyle called "the rat". It was called so because the hair was padded and shaped to create the big volume effect and that made it look like a rat. Pointed on one end (the nose), high and rounded on the other (the haunches of the rat). We can see that the hair is also red which creates the full effect. There is a modern feel to the second picture because of the big, black, smokey eyes, which I think add a nice fresh accent to the photograph. This is something I would like to have when it comes to taking my own photos. 







Source of image on the left:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/Ej8u7uu0Ag0/UlV4JIvsNvI/AAAAAAAAAD8/6Xwab5wkoPQ/s1600/George_Gower_Elizabeth_I_Armada_Variant.jpg

Source of image on the right:Unknown



- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I have practised doing plaits in the lesson, while trying to make them look Elizabethan also.

This photo shows a really loose french plait that went all the way round the head. Now looking at it, I think I could have made it look more organised and neat, however at the time I found it quite hard as it was only a practise. 


This is the right side of the head, where I decided to do something different. These are normal plats tied into looking like small buns. I thought it looked quite innocent and therefore Elizabethan. 

These are 3 rows of French plaits which I finished with a normal plait. I like the simplicity of it, however, if I was going to use this hairstyle I would definitely put a ribbon in it, or some pearls to decorate the hair and add some femininity to it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment